Passion City

This is me! Evolving, looking better, feeling better and becoming better!

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Learning Tai Chi

Wanting to learn Tai Chi has been on my mind for quite some time. I remember attending to a Tai Chi class eight years ago ran by a friend of mine. Very soon I discovered that although I had romantic ideas about Tai chi, I was not ready for it. The slow movements almost drove me mad as I practised amongst a group of people most of whom were much older than me. After a few sessions I lost interest.

But I am ready now. Thanks to meditation, yoga and pilates which all started a couple of years ago and now have become parts of my life, these days I am able to feel quite comfortable just to be with myself, in stillness or in slow motion. Perhaps the word 'comfortable' is an understatement because I love these moments! I am no longer the active person who constantly had to be on the go and who only found satisfaction in doing fast exercises and having a good sweat. As I learn to train my mind to be quietened, I start to feel the connection with my inner self. I start to enjoy my company in those 'idle' moments. I have changed.

Recently I had an opportunity to learn a special type of Tai Chi - Maori Tai Chi. It was so cool even though I’ve only had one session so far. After the Tai Chi I immediately felt rejuvenated and reenergized. In this Tai Chi, a beautiful Maori music was played at the background with the teacher giving instructions as he demonstrated. Although I can’t remember the exact movements we were taught, I can however remember what each movement stood for. It went like this:

Inhale and exhale. Relax. Be receptive. Let go of all burdens and worries;

Give respect and worship to our ancestors;

Embrace our spirits;

Appreciate and connect to The Mother Earth;

Appreciate our muscular strength;

Appreciate our feminine wisdom;

Give love to the world; be of service;

Receive love from the world and show gratitude.

I noticed that Maori Tai Chi differs slightly from the Chinese Tai Chi in that Maori Tai Chi has an element of connection to spirit, ancestors and The Earth while Chinese Tai Chi is a manifestation of Tao philosophy in body movements and contains principles of yielding, softness, centeredness, slowness, balance, suppleness and rootedness. The combination of the two seems to make a perfect art that helps people feel better, think more clearly and become mentally stronger and calmer to deal with stress and problems.

No doubt it’s going to be a lot of fun ahead! :)

5 Comments:

At 3:41 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I wish you well on your endeavor. There is an old zen saying, "when the student is ready the teacher appears." You have met your teacher and it is exciting. I can feel the energy flow through the words you have written.

Namaste

 
At 4:27 am, Blogger Ed Meers said...

Tai Chi is a wonderful Art and, though many think that it is for old folks, it is a very formidable Martial Art, developing strength and balance. I'm turning 37 on Christmas Day and was really torn between Aikido and Tai Chi classes as both have strong ideological foundations. I think that I went the Aikido route simply because of its applications for my work at the prison.

Anyway, Tai Chi will open up a whole new gammet of potential - enjoy!

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger Passion said...

Thanks all! Nothing happens by chance! Although this Tai Chi lesson was offered during a seminar as an entertainment, I gained great benefit from it and I knew that I am ready for it. I will definitely enrol a Tai Chi course after New Year.

Real-e, I am not sure what turning 37 has got to do with choosing between Aikido and Taichi? Is time running out? lol Perhaps you can do Aikido for the first half year and Taichi the second half, or something like that? I've always wanted to do yoga, pilates, Tai Chi, meditation, marathon... but I knew I had to priorise cos we all have limited time for our leisure pursuits but over time I believe I'll be able to do them all. It's a matter of which one I put more focus on and which one I do it on casual basis. And then I swap depending on my health need or condition. Anyway, happy birthday and Merry X'mas! You are lucky to have dual celebration. :)

 
At 6:54 am, Blogger Kim said...

passion city: i can relate to trying tai chi years before i was ready. i so didn't get it. now with meditation, and the practice of kinhin (slow walking) maybe i should check it out again. i have always been fascinated by its beauty. i too look forward to any posts you might share about it.

 
At 7:26 am, Blogger Ed Meers said...

Turning 37 and my Art of choice comes down to the rigours on the body. Tai Chi is very gentle with minimal impact whereas there are lots of throws, break falls and whatnot in Aikido. I played too many contact sports in my youth, so, as i intend to remain active until I'm finished with this life, I can't throw myself about like I once could and not suffer for it.

All my best and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours + a healthy and prosperous New Year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home