Passion City

This is me! Evolving, looking better, feeling better and becoming better!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Power Of Positive Thoughts

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a supple and flexible body so that we can bend, stretch and do all sorts of things with it without feeling stiff or hurting ourselves?

Well, if you have a stiff body, don’t despair. As a supple body, it’s just a thought away!

I am not kidding. I experimented it last night, during John Shackleton’s talk show where some one hundred people attended.

We were asked to stand up, right arm straight and far reaching to the front. We were then asked to turn our waist to the right, stretch as far as we can, and observe how far our arms could go. I was reasonably happy and satisfied that my right arm almost turned 270 degree – better than most of the people there.

When this was done, everyone stood there, waiting for what John had to say next. This time John gave some kind of hypnotic commentary like this: Close your eyes! Now imagine your body is very light and very flexible – so light that you feel like a feather and so flexible that you can stretch as far as you want... if negative thoughts come along just despise it and tell it to go away... when he finished his commentary, we were asked to do the same exercise one again. This time my arm kept going until I reached 270 degree… nothing stopped me… I kept going and going ... until I finally found my arm pointing to some 330 degree! WOW! That was amazing! I had never stretched that far!

When asked who stretched further this time, everyone put their hands up. EVERYONE!

What did I learn from this experiment? I have learnt that, whatever result we want in life, is just a thought away. That is, if you think you can, you can! Positve thoughts lead to positive results. That’s the power of positive thoughts!

Of course, positive thoughts don’t just come by as a cemented habit to us. As pointed out by John, it takes training; it takes self reflection; most important of all, it takes a shift in our self-belief. If we do not like the results we get from life, the answer always lies in understanding what we believe in. Until we do, our positive thinking only brings us limited success.

When you think about it, every thought stems from our beliefs, and these beliefs are what ultimately define and create who we are, as well as the lives we lead. Unless we are clear on what we believe, whether it’s love, relationships, money, gender roles, success, whatever, we may never experience the richness and joy of life that we are meant to.

If you think John was a lofty talker, check this one out: at age of fifty-two, he swims faster than he did at the age of eighteen when he was a competitive swimmer! He realised that the reason he could not rise to the world’s top swimmer in his competitive swimming career was due to his limited belief about himself. He just didn’t believe he was good enough. Sounds familiar?

Anyway, it was a wonderful evening and John talked with great energy and a good sense of humour. When I met him outside the venue, he looked rather ordinary - medium height, red faced and half bold. However by the end of the evening he looked big and charismatic! What has changed? My thoughts!!

Just remember: we are what we think. Whatever you want to achieve in life, it’s just a thought away!

2 Comments:

At 4:57 am, Blogger Ed Meers said...

That sounds really interesting and I think I'll give it a go. I'm fascinated how we can use breathing to open up parts of the body as practised in Yoga, etc. I am chronically tight in spite of six years of Yoga and regular massage, mainly due to stress and overtraining. Several years of contact sports like Hockey and Rugby didn't help either!

On the issue of positive thinking, I couldn't agree with you more. When you fathom that your entire perspective is somewhat self-perpetuated, the manner in which you process information will be the true portrayal of your character.

Ever read "Heart of the Buddha's Teachings" by Thich Nhat Hahn? He's a wonderful writer!

 
At 7:51 am, Blogger Passion said...

real-e, regarding the exercise of stretching, I've read similar stories before but this was the first experience I had. It was amazing. Have you heard about the Qi Gong master as to how they can cut a brick using one hand? Apparently one of the techniques also include visualisation and positive thinking. Most of the magic and tricks we think they are are the magic of positive thoughts!

No I haven't read that book. Thanks for recommending. I'll keep a close eye on that! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home