Passion City

This is me! Evolving, looking better, feeling better and becoming better!

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Feeling Of Home


Can you live in a perfect city with the only thing imperfect being the weather?

Well, I used to but I can’t any more. When I lived in Wellington I thought it was a perfect city: perfect size, perfect neighbourhood, perfect people, perfect lifestyle and perfect pace...However I never got used to its weather. Wellington is famous for its wind. It’s ferocious, ruthless cold and nasty. It goes through your skin and straight into your bones, in all seasons. That’s why I almost never wore skirts during the entire six years when I lived in Wellington. Perhaps it is no coincidence that from my 2nd year on in Wellington I have developed a chronic back pain. Everyday I had to fight against the 'cold bitch' to keep her away! I was always cold and freezing. I had several wheat bags with me all the time and in my air-con office I still had to use my own heater. Life in Wellington had been a life in a big chilly bin!

My daily battle with the wind and coldness came to an end when we moved here five months ago. Although we've also had cold days and wind, the air and the wind in Auckland are much more gentle and pleasant! Accompanied with its gentle breezes is often a familiar tropical humidity - the kind just like my original home, Southern China. For the first time in many years, my passion for shopping on summery clothing such as bikini, skirts and shorts is back! Woohoo! Last weekend hubby spent the entire weekend shopping clothes with me tirelessly and with great enthusiasm. I’ve never seen him so happy and keen watching me spend money on shopping - he hasn’t seen me on skimpy outfit for years (except the odd tropical holidays we had overseas)!

I am finally able to feel relaxed and comfortable to go everywhere without worrying about if my clothes are warm enough. Thank God I also don’t have to tense my body up or hold my breath to fight an environment which is far too cold for me. These days my body is straight and my breath is deep. Finally I feel like at home. I enjoy myself and this environment more. I have no reason to feel stressed. A stroll to the Cornwall Park (where the famous One Tree Hill is) which is five minutes away takes all my worries away.

Yes, this is my home! Home - it's a concept that had never occurred to me until now. All the places hubby and I lived in the past felt like a 'temporary nest'. I suppose it's like a relationship - you can't force it; you just have to wait until you've found it! For hubby he has rekindled his passion for wind-surfing; as for me, I can go along with him and do kayaking which is my favourite water sport... Looks like we are going to hang around for a wee while!

I love this city!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home