Passion City

This is me! Evolving, looking better, feeling better and becoming better!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Sticking To It Until The End

I’ve just completed my seven week evening classes of yoga. I kind of felt sad as I’ve just started enjoying it and it was all over! Although it’s only been seven weeks, it is interesting to note that out of the twelve attendees, none of us made a 100% attendance. Each week the numbers were dropping and as of last night which was the final class only two of us made it. When I turned up, the tutor was so relieved. She said: 'Ah you made it as well! I had thought we might not have a class tonight!' Imagine how disappointing and unrewarding for a tutor when no one turns up for class!

I think I did it well to have made it until the very end. The only one class I missed was the night before going to a job interview the next day because I needed the night to prepare for my interview which to me was fully justifiable.

The same happened to my evening course on Confident Speaking at the same school. We had twelve people to begin with but finished with only three of us. What a shame that the busy life we live these days makes the concept of commitment almost like a mission impossible for the majority of us! We are only talking about commitment for a relatively short period of time and on something that’s really beneficial to us!

Talking about myself, sticking to something until the end hasn’t always been easy either. In my younger years it was not unusual for me to be burnt with passion with a new hobby or project yet the enthusiasm was often short lived before I could see the fruit of it. I knew that I needed a change as I knew that I could do better. As I got older, more specifically into my thirties, I knew that if I want to accomplish anything in life, I needed to be responsible for myself and stick to it until the end. Quite amazingly when I take that responsibility seriously, commitment is no longer a difficult thing! It just comes by naturally. In the last three or four years I’ve conducted various projects and learning courses. Looking back I know that I have changed: I am more stable, committed, and mature. I have found more self confidence these days because I know that I am able to honour my own needs and inner desire in a positive way to become a better person.

In my New Year’s resolution at the beginning of this year, I wrote that ‘I owe myself a life to the fullest. I will always strive for realising my full potential, bringing out the best of myself, and use my goodness, knowledge and love to benefit myself, my family and the society.’ Looking back at the life I’ve given myself in the last eleven month, I think I’ve honoured my own words and I’ve earned self-respect.

As to yoga, I can see that it’s becoming part of my everyday life. Like meditation, pilates and running, they are becoming part of my daily routine which make me feel whole and in touch with myself. It makes me realise that the external world only drives me away from my own essence while being with myself gives me the most wonderful feeing. I am amazed!

3 Comments:

At 10:10 pm, Blogger Passion said...

Thanks Greenbean. You quite correctly pointed out that the reasons for people to disappear are varied and that it's not necessarily a commitment issue. I started in my mind with the main point for this post being about comparison of my past self and present self somehow I unconsciously compared others to myself. Thanks for the reminder about being non-judgemental.

When I lived in Wellington (a smaller city) I attended a few evening classes yet I never saw such high 'disappearing' rate like the case here and I wondered if it has anything to do with the busyness and stress.

Deep bows to you and wish you well too Greenbean.

 
At 4:49 am, Blogger Kim said...

passioncity: i really admire your discipline and earnestness. coincidentally, i just returned from a walk with a friend where we were discussing how important it is to instill in our kids the habit of sticking with things. of course there are always legitimate reasons to quit, but it is a good habit to just finish what you started most of the time. i think it helps in becoming successful. plus you learn things about yourself in that process.
congratulations on completing the yoga program.

 
At 5:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started doing daily yoga at home via different dvds. I am amazed also on how i can calm myself down when upset and i can do yoga on my own with out the dvd. It's a really beautiful thing, yoga.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home