Passion City

This is me! Evolving, looking better, feeling better and becoming better!

Friday, August 26, 2005

Unity Is My Politics

Last night at my Public Speaking evening class, we did some instantaneous semi-debate speeches. With the General Election coming in a few weeks, you can imagine what the topic was. Without having much time to think and prepare, I debated against the General Election. Here’s what I had to say in summary:

Voting is a turn-off for me. Voting to me, seems to do more damage than good. Voting, promotes divisiveness of the nation rather than peace and unity. Because when you vote for one party, it implies that you vote against all other parties. Since each party is focused on looking after particular groups of people’s interest and tackling particular aspects of the overall societal problems, when we vote for one party, inevitably some people’s interests will be compromised and some aspects of the societal problems will remained untackled (at least not with priority). May I ask: what determines which party you vote for? As far as I know, the determining factors are our personal interests! In other words, we think about what we can gain from that party.

What about what we can give? And which party is promoting that? None. To me, all parties are promoting that we should be selfish and should be focusing on what we want and what we need. And they, as they promise, can give us all that we want.

No party has an vision of bringing people together so everyone in the nation is passionate about and genuinely believes in giving and sharing, which is what humanity is about. As a result, I am against General Election.


Yesterday, I wrote a journal titled 'Peace is my religion'. Today, let me give this journal a collaborate title: Unity, is my politics!

5 Comments:

At 4:21 pm, Blogger Alan Howard said...

Have you done any research into the political parties, or are you just going on what the media says? Have you researched each party's policies, or are you just making a generalised assumption, like most of the people in NZ?

As a party, I'm voting for the Libertarianz, because they are the ones who advocate personal responsiblity and freedom. As a party, I'd love them to have enough power to influence the leading party (Labour or National) towards the policies that I believe in.

For the MP (the voting system has you vote for a party and a local MP) I'm voting for United Future, 1) because the Libertarianz have no MPs in this election, and 2) because United Future are the closest party with MPs that are aligned with my beliefs, and 3) voting for United Future is essentially voting for Labour. I do this because I believe National would be a bad step for the country to take, as National would take NZ closer to America's way of doing things. It would support America just like Australia does, and I believe Labour is a better choice for NZ, in accordance with my attitudes.

The point of this comment is simple: if you don't do any research into the political parties, what they stand for, and what the consequences are of them getting into power or influencing those in power, then you are just voting according to the propoganda within the media, and the media has its political biases too.

Effective voting requires educated voting. Without educating yourself on the parties and what they stand for, you may as well just close your eyes and place a random tick in 2 places, for all the good it will do.

Have a great voting day! ;-)

 
At 7:57 am, Blogger Passion said...

Thanks for your reply. No doubt you have very strong political opinion, and conducted extensive research.

Perhaps I should give a bit more background about this journal of mine. It was an exercise from a speech class to give an instantaneous one-minute debate. The subject was “are you for (or against) general election?” We were told to avoid detailed party policies as it was a speech class, not a political forum. Otherwise the class would never end in two hours!

I chose to debate 'against' because my tendency leans towards against so it was easier for me to argue on that basis. Given that voting is a duty required of a New Zealand citizen, I do have my preferred party and personal opinions. However, I intend to keep that out of this blog. The main purpose of this blog is to practise my writing, not to air my political view.

Thanks again for giving your comment.

 
At 3:06 pm, Blogger Alan Howard said...

"The main purpose of this blog is to practise my writing, not to air my political view."

If you didn't want to air your political view, I'm surprised you wrote about your political view. *grin*

Your writing was, if I'm not mistaken, your view that politics should be about unity rather than division. That is definitely a political view.

Cheers

 
At 3:37 pm, Blogger Passion said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:49 pm, Blogger Passion said...

You are very right indeed, Alan! I think you should be in politics, as the smallest loophole in wording cannot escape your sharp and astute logic mind!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home